IT security in the home office: How to detect if your devices have been hacked28. May 2020
Not all companies were prepared for the quick change to the home office. Today, one day after the Federal Council's relaxation of the COVID-19 measures, many companies are talking about continuing their changed working methods and letting their employees work more from their home office. Regardless of whether in the office or in the home office; security should not be sacrificed. In this blog post you will learn how to detect if your devices have been hacked and what you can do to secure them.
Trend Micro is a global provider of server, network and endpoint security software and services, with a 30-year vision to make the world a safer place to share digital information. Since 2010, the company has been considered the global market leader in server security.
Smart Home Network (SHN) shows significant increase in infections and attacks on systems and networked devices
In its Smart Home Network (SHN), Trend Micro has seen a significant increase in attacks on remote systems and networked devices. The analysis below compares December 2018, January 2019, February 2019 and March 2019 with December 2019, January 2020, February 2020 and March 2020, and clearly shows that the number of incoming infections and attempted attacks on, for example, desktops and laptops has increased by almost 450%.
Figure 1: Incoming infections and attempted attacks on devices from December 2018 to March 2019 and December 2019 to March 2020; data from Trend Micro's Smart Home Network (SHN).
Infections and attacks without obvious signs: How to detect symptoms
Especially in recent months, the number of attacks with coronavirus-related messages has also increased. Some malicious routines show no obvious signs of infection or intrusion and some symptoms only become visible after certain user actions. Nevertheless, users can easily find out if their devices have been hacked or infected with malware. Trend Micro has created a flyer for this purpose.
How to ensure IT security in the home office
In the blog post of 23. März 2020 we already wrote about the most important measures that should be taken in the short term to ensure IT security in the home office. In the longer term, we recommend a sustainable business solution that ensures IT security in both the office and the home office. In cooperation with Trend Micro we offer the following solutions:
- Trend Micro endpoint solutions such as Apex One and Worry-Free™ Business Security protect the endpoints (clients with Windows / Mac, Windows Server, mobile devices) with advanced technologies and automatic detection and defense against threats.
- As an additional layer of defense, Trend Micro™ Email Security can thwart spam and other email attacks. The protection is constantly updated to protect the system from both old and new attacks. A solution for MS Exchange or local hardware is also part of the portfolio.
- For the protection of Office 365, Sharepoint online, Exchange online, Teams, OneDrive, Dropbox and Google, Trend Micro offers Trend Micro Cloud App Security, a key pillar of a security strategy.
- Whether the server is on-premise, virtual or in the cloud, comprehensive protection is critical to keeping data safe. Trend Micro Deep Security is a specialized solution that offers malware protection as well as a comprehensive solution against vulnerabilities.
- Trend Micro is ranked as the company with the largest market share in security for hybrid cloud workloads in November 2019. Trend Micro XDR (Detection & Response) provides the ability to properly analyze events and identify threats in a timely manner so that appropriate action can be taken.
Register now and start your free security analysis
Do you want to know exactly how powerful your existing email, endpoint and Office365 security really is? Take advantage of Trend Micro's free Security Assessment Service to see if your organization has effective protection against blended threats.
Would you like to learn more about IT security in the home office? As a strong IT partner, the ITpoint team will be happy to assist you with all your questions about IT security. We look forward to hear from you!
Senior Account Manager
+41 31 959 95 06
Trend Micro is listed as a leader and scored highest in the current categories of Offerings and Strategy in The Forrester Wave™: Security for Cloud Workloads (Q4/2019)
Trend Micro Classified as Company with Largest Market Share in Security for Hybrid Cloud Workloads (November 2019)